goodrich atr & parallel <span class="highlight">importing</span>

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2010 at 17:05
ThreadID: 78539 Views:6502 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello tyre experts, I think I've settled on the above tyres for the Pajero - noting over half the serious 4wd's at the Rosehill Caravan and 4wd show had them on. Coopers came 2nd and daylight third.

Anyhow I got a price of $300 per tyre in an inner Sydney city tyre place. I then asked a local tyre dealer who said he couldn't match it and then went on to say the $300 deal was probably from "parallel importing". What the heck is that ?

He said this meant that the dealer would get them from anywhere in the world and said the tyre could come from Britain and that it would be of different compounds to that which comes directly to Australia.

He was basically saying that Goodrich put out differently made tyres depending on where they were to be used eg the cold of Europe would require a softer or harder compound ( can't remember which was which) than Aussie ATR's which would be made from a diffrerent compound.

I remember somewhere in the forum someone saying they knew of a few ATR's blowing out sidewalls. Equally tho' there was a heated response defending the tyre.

I'm wondering if this parallel importing is possibly true and if so, could consumers be buying cheaper Goodrich tyres not best suited to Oz conditions ?

The local also said the serial number on the tyre might tell where the tyre was meant for so if it blows up in Oz and it was imported from ie Britain, the warranty is defunct ?

Or is the local bloke making up the whole thing to scare me into buying his $320 tyre. If there's anyone out their from Goodrich, I'd like you to make comment and everyone else is welcome to throw their two bob's worth in also. Thanks Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 17:34

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 17:34
Greg!! I dont know if BFG actually make BFG A/Ts other than the USA but that is untrue about the warranty. If you buy tyres from a tyre outlet, you are covered by a warranty. i Its as simple as that. If warranty is needed, it is up to the dealer to sort it out for you, not the importer or B F Goodrich. This is definately for NSW. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417026

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:42

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:42
Hi Michael. You are partly correct about warranties. But there are two quite different warranties to consider. The first is the manufacturer's warranty, which is typically what the dealer is talking about when discussing warranties. ("if the manufacturer agrees, then you'll get redress, otherwise, tough). The second is the statutory warranty under State (Fair Trading) and Federal (Trade Practices Act) law, which is law that states what legal obligations apply to any supplier who sells goods to a consumer.
If a trader sources product outside of 'normal' dealer relationships, then there will probably be no manufacturers' warranty (like a Toyota Surf purchased on the grey market: you'll get nowhere complaining to Toyota Australia.)
But any purchase of tyres will be covered by the statutory warranty, which binds the seller, not the manufacturer, Just try explaining to the average retail trader that they are directly responsible for the fitness for purpose of the goods they sell! That's if they are still in business!
FollowupID: 687147

Reply By: Muntoo - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 17:37

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 17:37
Nah mate dont listen to him just yet.

$20 a tyre is not that big a difference. What i would do is go to the cheaper one and ask to see a tyre and note its serial number, then go to other shop and ask for the serial number of his. Compare and see what the go is then. Maybe ring BF Goodrich themselves and ask. That will either prove him correct or wrong, and will ensure you get the best deal.
AnswerID: 417027

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 17:39

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 17:39
they do make BFGs in Japan also. possibly other places but i am only aware of japan and US(from mixed thai and US rubber)
AnswerID: 417028

Follow Up By: the redbacks - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 18:19

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 18:19
Hin guy's im sure you are correct about japan BFG, when i did work for Michelin 15yrs ago they were only made in the USA, none the less, i reckon they are proberly the best 4x4 tyre around, & proberly the only ones round !!
FollowupID: 687273

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:10

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:10
With tyres, tyre resellers are usually aligned to one brand but can sell any brand...if that makes sense.

In the tyre world there are brand dealers and resellers, the brand dealers get a better price on one particular brand because the support that one brand more.

When we went to Toyo's for our 4x4 we went to our regular tyre place (who looks after our company cars and service vans) to get them and found they were about $60.00 per tyre dearer then the place around the corner from our business was.

We approached him about the difference in price and that's when he informed us of how the tyre industry works, we could by the tyres for the same price as he could from this other mod who were Toyo dealers.

I would say the guy who offered you the tyres for $300 each may be that brands dealer and the other guy is a reseller.

AnswerID: 417030

Reply By: the redbacks - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:38

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:38
Hi Greg,
I think you will find that BFG is Made ONLY in the USA, they used to manufacture tyres for the aircraft industry & supplied tyres to the space shuttle, they are now owned by the "Michelin tyre Co" & produced under the watchful eye of Michelin as Michelin wanted & needed to get into the aircraft tyre supply business.
Michelin are in totally controlled by the French{what ever Michelin USA says} the quality control of Michelin is second to none WHEREVER they are made,
Michelin do not have a factory in Oz, due to the huge labour cost's so they did purchase a factory in Taiwan, which at the time made "Barum" tyres just to name one, most "65" series profile tyres for the Australian market are made in Taiwan, If a tyre" brand" is made by Michelin it will have after the brand name & country of manufacturer the Initials MTC printed after it = Michelin Tyre Co, 95-100% of "semi Truck tyres" are made in the UK factory, as with some "special" sizes car tyres for BMW,Citron,Mini, etc....,etc, most 4x4 tyres are made USA{but not all} I have even seen a few car tyres with "balance weights" on the inside of the carcass, that's how fussy they are with quality.As far as rubber "compounds" are concerned don't let any one tell you that they know that a certain Michelin tyre has harder compounds as another, complete rubbish, even the guy's working in the factory's wouldn't know, it's the most well kept secret in the tyre industry, and NO tv or media is allowed into most, if not any parts of any factory owned by Michelin,as for "rubber" used in a tyre nowadays properly about 1% rubber is now used, & it's Carbon Black that gives a tyre it's "hardness" ability, but at the end of the day BFG will give you a better life & performance for your tyre investment, Do i work for Michelin No, but i did for 25yrs.
hope that helped in some ways
cheers
dave
AnswerID: 417033

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:34

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:34
Pretty sure some sizes of BFG's are made in the land of the rising sun, in particular the size fitted to Prado, got a bad wrap on this forum a few years back for being too soft.

FollowupID: 687144

Follow Up By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:35

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:35
my work sidekick has BFG A/Ts on his Jeep and they are made in Japan, i had to look twice to be sure but they are. when he comes back from overseas i will post some photos
FollowupID: 687145

Reply By: OREJAP - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 20:15

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 20:15
I have owned vehicles & driven work supplied vehicles in all terrains & believe B F GOODRICH are a great tyre. They are actually the T/A & the tread pattern has not changed in about 25 years. I never worried about where they were made just had them rotated & monitored the pressures. I drove, Rangies,Patrols, L/cruisers, Jackaroos & Pajeros never a fault. $300 per tyre is a good deal. I remember years ago there was an issue with Japanese Bridgestones & Aussie made B/stones but I have never heard any stories about BFG.
AnswerID: 417047

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 12:52

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 12:52
There might be something in that - I just got another set of BFG AT 265/75/16 fitted yesterday at $300 each fitted new valve inserts etc etc.
They are made in USA , and I know some people at Beaurepairs etc and they said there buying price was $350 , so has to be some special arrangement somewhere !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 417242

Sponsored Links